first_imgMore than 530 pupils from 1, 2 and 3 teacher schools around the county took part in Day 2 of the 10th annual athletics championships held by Allianz Cumann na mBunscol in conjuction with Donegal Sports Partnership today on the sun-drenched Aura track, Letterkenny.A well organised competition was held and all teachers, parents and athletic coaches are to be commended on running a great event that was both enjoyable and relaxed and yet competitive for the children. Thanks to Letterkenny AC for the use of equipment, Rosses AC for the help on the day as well as Lifford AC for the use of its fine facilities on Day 1 of the championships.There were both sprints and distance events for all pupils as well as Long Jumps, High Jumps, Shot Putt and Ball Throw. Junior and Senior Infants enjoyed a Teddy Bear Race whilst the day ended with inter-school relays.Last week 318 pupils from 4 teacher schools met at the Ben O’Donnell track in Lifford for their championships. Frosses NS emerged victorious there with Scoil Mhuire, Creeslough a close second. Magherabeg NS was in third. A word of thanks to all who helped there and a special mention to Brendan O’Donnell and his Lifford AC members who were so helpful on the day. The overall school results for Allianz Cumann na mBunscol Athletics for 2014 are:1 and 2 teachers schools: 1st: Keadue NS. 2nd: St Riaghan’s, Glenties.3 teacher schools: 1st: Roisin NS. 2nd: Stramore NS, Glendowan.4 teacher schools: 1st: Frosses NS. 2nd: Scoil Mhuire, Creeslough.This brings an end to Cumann na mBunscol athletics for the season.   ATHLETICS: RECORD TURNOUT FOR ALLIANZ CUMANN NA mBUNSCOIL ATHLETICS was last modified: June 21st, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:athleticsCumann na mBunscoldonegallast_img read more

Five young Raiders to hold out hope for

first_imgMost Raiders fans have probably accepted that the 2018 season was effectively over less than halfway through and that they might as well look ahead to 2019.Jon Gruden made it clear he’s about the future more than the present, maybe even as early as early September when he traded Khalil Mack, so why shouldn’t you be about the future, too?For any fans wanting the slightest of reasons to hold out hope amid a calamitous year, let’s have a look at five young players who will more likely than not …last_img read more

Crabs pour it on Ports in 13-0 rout

first_imgRyan Higgins made his first home run of the summer a memorable one as his fifth inning grand slam put the Humboldt Crabs in the driver’s seat, snapping a two-game losing skid and avoiding a midweek series sweep with a 13-0 win over the visiting San Leandro Ports, Wednesday night at the Arcata Ball Park.Josh Mollerus (3-2) put forth his best start at pitcher of the season on Wednesday, shutting out the Ports through seven innings. Mollerus gave up four hits and half as many walks while striking …last_img read more

Lesotho chef de mission fumes as driver steals his T-shirts

first_imgTlali Rammooana wants his T-shirts back. Before leaving for Lesotho on Saturday, this chef de mission has requested the organising committee (OC) of the Commonwealth Games to recover the “stolen” tees bearing his country’s name and mail them to his address.Rammooana has even gone to the extent of lodging a police complaint regarding the “theft”. The incident occurred on October 12 when the chef de mission went shopping at Shipra Mall in Ghaziabad along with Commonwealth Games Assistants (CGAs). They were taken to the mall in a car driven by Dinesh (No. CWG 0117).”While boarding the car at T-1 parking in the Games Village, the CGAs gave the two T-shirts to the driver for safekeeping till we returned. But the CGAs forgot to collect the T-shirts from the driver and he, too, did not remind us to collect it,” Rammooana said. “When the CGAs called him up he bluntly refused to return the tees. They then complained to the transport manager at Gate No. 1 but the driver told him the CGAs had gifted the tees to him,” he added.The chef de mission also said Dinesh was behaving rudely and was indifferent to the directions given by the CGAs. He added that Dinesh drove rashly. “After facing this unacceptable behaviour, I had no option but to officially lodge a complaint against the driver. I have asked the police and the OC to take appropriate action against him and, if possible, get the T-shirts back from him as I wanted to gift these to the CGAs,” Rammooana said.advertisementThe police on Tuesday caught the driver but he denied having taken them. Sources said the drivers had threatened to go on strike if any legal action was taken against them. “Any action could have been problematic for the event (as 2,500 cars were operating during the Games),” a Games Village official said. But Rammooana remains unhappy.”I am emotionally attached to my T shirts as my country’s name is printed on them. I want them back. I will get back to the OC officials once I get back home. The Games in India were fun but the incident has disheartened me,” Rammooana said. The OC has assured to resolve the matter at the earliest. “We will investigate the matter,” said Lalit Bhanot, the secretary general of the OC.last_img read more

BW Offshore Extends Contract for FPSO Polvo

first_imgzoom BW Offshore has secured a one-year extension for the lease and operation of the Polvo floating production storage and offloading (FPSO) unit.Under the terms of the agreement signed with Petrorio, the firm period has been extended from Q3 2018 to Q3 2019, with options until Q3 2022.FPSO Polvo is a 299,930 cbm FPSO tanker built in Japan in 1981.Separately, BW Offshore said that the BW Catcher FPSO received the first oil certificate on January 6, 2018. This follows the completion of the 72-hour interim performance test subsequent to the introduction of hydrocarbons on December 23, 2017.As informed, the certificate confirms the commencement of a seven-year fixed term contract, with extension options of up to 18 years.Currently, BW Offshore has a fleet of 15 owned FPSOs and one floating storage and offloading (FSO) unit.last_img read more

Transport Canada monitoring Wasaya Airways after major safety violations uncovered

first_imgBy Kenneth Jackson and Cullen CrozierAPTN InvestigatesFirst Nation-owned Wasaya Airways is under the watch of Transport Canada inspectors after the company was found to be violating “major” components of their safety management system (SMS) during an inspection in 2013, APTN Investigates has learned.But an aviation expert says the northern Ontario company should have been immediately grounded and described their safety management system as in “shambles” based on a Transport Canada inspection report obtained by APTN.A team of Transport Canada inspectors descended on the Wasaya headquarters in Thunder Bay last March and spent about a week poring over the company’s SMS dating back a year to April 2012 according to the report.It was determined the airway, that serves remote First Nations in northern Ontario, to be in “non-conformance” in six different key elements relating to SMS, a regulatory requirement airways in Canada adhere to.Inspectors found staff didn’t know how to file safety reports, the main base in Thunder Bay had no carry-on sizing device, neither did sub-base Sioux Lookout, an emergency response plan hadn’t been updated since 2010 and none of the staff interviewed by Transport Canada were trained on it.An armed peace officer was also allowed to fly without documentation and without crew members knowing he was carrying a live weapon. There was also multiple issues with de-icing policies.To see the complete report click here.“There were indications employees had started to lose respect for the process and to question their supervisor’s commitment or their ability to bring about change. There were several gaps in functionally related elements which will cause the system to continue to break down,” the report said referring to how the SMS was implemented.Management then got a failing grade from Transport Canada or a “major” deficiency.“Staff did not understand what they were responsible for, people (were) not completing their duties and staff (was) not being held responsible for items under their control,” the report states.Dave Winter used to conduct aviation inspections for Transport Canada until he retired in 2010. APTN asked him to review the assessment of Wasaya and give his expert opinion.He described Wasaya as being in complete shambles regarding their safety reporting.“I would have suspended their operating certificate,” said Winter, who had planes grounded during his more than 30 years with Transport Canada. “To me that means there is something seriously wrong with the company. It’s up to Transport Canada to do something about that.”Transport Canada didn’t take Wasaya out of the air.Rather Wasaya was ordered to make adjustments and submit a report saying the changes had been made – known as a Corrective Action Plan.According to the report the plan was to be filed by June 17, 2013. It was filed in July.Transport Canada refused to provide a copy of Wasaya’s plan or speak about the company citing privacy reasons.Winter said if Transport Canada wasn’t going to ground the planes then the feds should have followed up with surprise inspections and went undercover on flights to ensure safety of passengers was being met.“I’d be putting those guys under pretty much constant surveillance,” said Winter. “I’d be watching them every day.”Transport Canada did say they have visited Wasaya twice since March 2013, but it’s not clear if one of those times was the initial inspection. They also said they’ll continue to monitor Wasaya but wouldn’t say how.They also said they conducted 11 inspections between 2001 and February 2013. Transport Canada didn’t respond in a timely fashion to a follow up question on how previous inspections missed what they determined to be major deficiencies in safety.Wasaya eventually refused to comment on “internal matters” and said it’s a private company accountable to the First Nations that own the airway.President Tom Morris initially offered to pay for an APTN reporter to fly to Thunder Bay and meet his staff. He would also pay for accommodations. He then offered to fly to Ottawa and meet with APTN before sending a letter declining any comment.Airways in Canada basically regulate themselves after Transport Canada begin implementing the SMS requirement in 2005. It’s one of the reasons why Winters retired. He didn’t think SMS went far enough to protect passengers and said he witnessed enforcement be scaled back.The systems allow for a company to establish, maintain and adhere to their own SMS.Federal inspectors then review the overall system.The expectation is the company will conduct internal audits and verify employees understand SMS to ensure it’s working.Transport Canada said they are satisfied with the changes Wasaya has made but their own report suggests management doesn’t always follow up on “Corrective Action Plans.”Winter said from his experience when airways are found not following safety rules they make it look like things will change but follow ups showed many times they didn’t.“When they get caught doing something like that they’ll put on the appearance that they’re doing something, but once the surveillance is done they go back to their old ways,” he said.That’s why he said it’s important Transport Canada continue to monitor Wasaya, at least to ensure the protection of passengers is being done.Wasaya is owned by 12 northern Ontario First Nations. Multiple chiefs said they had no knowledge of the Transport Canada report and asked that it be faxed to them.In 2003, eight people died when a Wasaya plane crashed heading to Summer Beaver First [email protected]@aptn.calast_img read more