The Indian national football team is taking specific measures to curb the severe pollution levels in the national capital.Coach Stephen Constantine and a 30-man probable squad landed here on Monday to begin their preparatory camp for a friendly match against Jordan on November 17. The Indian team will train at the Jawaharlal Nehru stadium for three days before flying to Amman on Thursday.The extreme smog condition in Delhi has given rise to serious health issues and to ensure the players remain fit, team doctors have arranged for a special screening at 9am every day.”Our team doctor and physio Danny bhai hold meeting in the morning where everything is checked, right from muscle weakness, injuries and if any player is hit by dehydration,” defender Nishu Kumar told Mail Today ahead of the first practice session on Monday. “We have been asked to remain hydrated but no special training or nutrition has been suggested so far.”The 23-year-old said the players do feel the pollution levels in the Capital but are adjusting to it.”We have to adjust to it (pollution), to be honest. We feel the pollution but we are keeping up with it and our team physio and doctors are ensuring that we remain fit for the friendly match,” he added.India will miss the services of their star striker and captain Sunil Chhetri, who has been ruled out of the tie due to an injury. Chhetri, 33, suffered an ankle injury during Bengaluru FC’s encounter against Kerala Blasters in the Indian Super League and will remain on the sidelines for two weeks, according to national team physio Gigy George.advertisementAsked about Chhetri’s absence, Nishu explained that the team will focus on getting a win without their captain as there are others to fill his big boots.”The team played well in China last time and against Jordan, we want to keep that momentum. I wasn’t part of the team that played in China but I hope to play a part in Amman. Sunil bhai has an obvious presence but we have other players too, who know their job well. I think matches like this will be good to test our team before the AFC Asian Cup next year,” he said.Nishu concluded by saying that the players are working hard with their respective football clubs in a bid to get the nod for the continental tournament in UAE come January.
Really? Granit Xhaka insists Arsenal heading in right directionby Paul Vegas3 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveGranit Xhaka insists Arsenal are heading in the right direction despite Monday’s loss to Sheffield United.The Gunners were outplayed by the recently promoted side, who won the match through Lys Mousset’s first-half strike.The loss means Arsenal missed the chance to go third on the table, but Xhaka says they are staying positive about the season.Asked if the club were heading in the right direction, “Of course.”If not we are in the wrong position but we believe in our stuff.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
Cassius Winston Michigan State CommitMichigan State head coach Tom Izzo has done it again. Friday, the Spartans officially landed the services of four-star point guard Cassius Winston. Winston chose MSU over Stanford and Pittsburgh during a ceremony at his high school – Detroit Jesuit. Cassius Winston selects @msubasketball today! pic.twitter.com/yOKAYj5q8C— Athletics (@udjesuitsports) September 18, 2015Detroit Jesuit guard Cassius Winston just committed to Michigan State. Tom Izzo may be on the verge of his best recruiting class ever.— Dan Wetzel (@DanWetzel) September 18, 2015Winston, who is listed at 6-foot-2, 194 pounds on 247Sports, joins five-star guard Joshua Langford and four-star power forward Nick Ward in Michigan State’s 2016 class. If the Spartans are also able to land five-star small forward Miles Bridges, they may have the top recruiting class in the entire country.
MONTREAL – The situation in flood-stricken Quebec appeared to improve slightly on Friday as the provincial government reported a drop in water levels in some areas and downgraded a forecast for weekend rain.But water levels are still expected to rise in the central Quebec region of Mauricie and they remain high in some large lakes, Environment Minister David Heurtel told a news conference.He said the Mauricie region will likely get 20 to 25 millimetres of rain over the weekend instead of the 59 millimetres officials had feared earlier this week.“Our models nevertheless indicate an increase (in water levels) but not as large as expected,” he said.Premier Philippe Couillard said he was hoping the situation wouldn’t deteriorate over the weekend.“We will breathe a sigh of relief on Monday if we haven’t had massive rain and heavy overflow,” he said at the sidelines of an event in Montreal.“In the meantime, we’re crossing our fingers.”As of Friday evening, the province’s civil security department said 4,700 residences had been stuck by flooding and just under 3,900 people have been moved out of their homes in 175 communities.The city of Rigaud, west of Montreal, warned that citizens who refuse the town’s evacuation order could face fines of up to $5,000.Mayor Hans Gruenwald Jr. said about 19 people have refused to leave their homes and have been notified that they could face penalties.“They’re being told something by their community and they have to listen, and if they don’t there are consequences,” he told reporters.Public Security Minister Martin Coiteux said that compensation for flood victims will be reviewed and likely increased in some areas.He said municipalities that haven’t been affected by flooding would lend technical expertise, human resources and equipment to help with cleanup efforts.“We’re preparing the recovery phase that will start earlier in the western areas (of the province),” he said.As flood waters continued to recede in Montreal, fire Chief Bruno Lachance warned citizens of the dangers they could face when returning home.“There are still some risks in the homes, (such as) electrical risks, natural gas, structure,” he said, adding residents should contact the city for help with inspections.Lachance said that while the homes closest to the river were still flooded, others were gradually becoming available for homeowners to visit.One of those residents, Nick Cai, surveyed the damage as the military-built dike helped drain his street, which was “still a lake” one day earlier.His street — 5th Ave. N. in the Pierrefonds-Roxboro area — has been in the news because it was badly flooded and residents claim repeated requests for help were ignored.“I think from the beginning, for our street, it’s a kind of a tragedy — it shouldn’t have happened at all,” Cai said.On Friday, Cai waited for the green light for electricity to be turned on, surveying the mess that will require professionals to help clean up.“I think it’s huge — at least, my basement is finished,” Cai said.“Some houses, there’s water on the first level so they have to be torn down and rebuilt completely.”The Ontario government said Friday it has activated one of its disaster assistance programs and individuals and businesses may be eligible for aid in dealing with the effects of flooding.— with files from Morgan Lowrie and Sidhartha Banerjee in Montreal.
Advertisement Ethel Bruneau’s tap school is something of an institution, not just in Dorval, but in the wider Montreal dance community.Bruneau, who is now 82, casts a long shadow and has had a hand in teaching hundreds, if not thousands, of young people and adults during her career.This month she’s closing another chapter, as she bids farewell to the dance school she’s run in Dorval for the last 14 years. LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment Facebook Bruneau says the rent on her studio is just too high, and student enrollment in dance classes isn’t what it used to be.“I don’t have the students that I had. Kids aren’t dancing like they used to. There used to be 200, 300 kids in here. Now I’m down to about five,” she said. Advertisement Advertisement Login/Register With: Ethel Bruneau opened her first dance school in 1959 in Dorion, Que. Now she’s being forced to close her school in Dorval because she can no longer afford the rent. (CBC) Twitter