Ashwin sends Sri Lanka to new low

first_imgVISAKHAPATNAM, India (AP):Off-spinner Ravichandran Ashwin recorded the best bowling figures by an Indian in Twenty20 Internationals to help his side beat Sri Lanka by nine wickets yesterday and clinch the series 2-1.Ashwin ripped through the top order with 4-8, improving on his own best of 4-11 against Australia at the World Twenty20 two years ago as Sri Lanka were bowled out in only 18 overs for 82, their lowest T20 total.In reply, India reached 84-1 in only 13.5, overs with opener Shikhar Dhawan top-scoring in the third and final match with an unbeaten 46.Ashwin drew first blood with his third delivery as a vicious spinner beat left-handed opener Niroshan Dickwella (1) for Mahendra Singh Dhoni to complete an easy stumping. The spin bowler then trapped Tillakaratne Dilshan leg-before wicket off the last ball of the over to trigger a collapse.Captain Dinesh Chandimal (8) fell to the first delivery of Ashwin’s second over, caught on the off side while trying to clear the infield. Debutant Asela Gunaratne (4) was his fourth victim, caught at leg slip by Suresh Raina as Ashwin finished his three-over spell at 4-5 and the score at 20-4.”I want to keep the batsmen guessing and (getting) wickets makes me a different bowler,” Ashwin said. “I’ve the courage to go for runs. That’s why I’ve the courage to flight the ball.”last_img read more

Hurley weds Indian businessman at castle

first_imgElizabeth Hurley married Indian businessman Arun Nayar Friday in a private civil ceremony at a 15th-century castle in Winchcombe, England, and photographers and spectators descended Saturday on the quiet town in western England to catch a glimpse of their lavish wedding party. Guests included Elton John, Kate Moss, Elle Macpherson and Hurley’s ex, Hugh Grant. Hurley, 41, and Nayar, 42, reportedly have signed a lucrative deal with Hello! magazine for exclusive rights to images of the event. Hurley made appearances in the “Austin Powers” movies and “Bedazzled” and for several years was the international face of Estee Lauder cosmetics. – Associated Press – Associated Press 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Film about ex-CIA agent in works Warner Bros. studios is developing a feature film based on the lives of outed CIA agent Valerie Plame and her husband, former Ambassador Joseph Wilson. The movie is co-produced by Zucker Productions and Weed Road, according to entertainment industry publication Variety. Jez and John Butterworth, who recently completed the script for “Superbad,” a James Brown biopic, are doing the screenplay. Former White House aide I. Lewis “Scooter” Libby is on trial on charges of obstruction of justice and lying to the FBI and a grand jury about how he learned Plame was a CIA agent and whom he passed that information on to. “The biggest element of the movie to us is the story of two people who spent their lives in service of their government, and were then betrayed by that government,” producer Jerry Zucker said. He and his wife, Janet, got to know Plame and her husband when all four became involved in projects supporting stem-cell research. last_img read more

Steve Smith disappointed as ball-tampering ban continues: Pat Cummins

first_imgAustralia pacer Pat Cummins has revealed his former skipper Steve Smith’s state of mind after an unsuccessful bid from Australian Cricketers’ Association (ACA) to get his ban reduced.Cummins said that Smith has steered clear of all the speculations in the lead up to the review conducted by Cricket Australia (CA) earlier this week but insisted the 29-year-old is pretty disappointed over not getting an early reprieve from the ball-tampering punishment.Smith, along with former vice-captain David Warner were handed one-year bans by CA following their involvement in the infamous ball-tampering scandal in the Cape Town Test during Australia’s tour of South Africa earlier this year.Cameron Bancroft was handed a nine-month ban and he can return to the highest level in December but the two superstar cricketers have to wait until the last week of March 2019 to start playing for their state and the international teams.Also read: Australia still a good side, says Brisbane T20 hero Marcus StoinisHowever, there was a ray of hope when ACA, which had been maintaining the punishments were swift and harsh, pushed to allow them to play first-class cricket immediately.The players’ union submission came at a time when a culture review when a culture review of Cricket Australia opined that cricket body had been arrogant and controlling.Nonetheless, the Cricket Australia, after reviewing ACA’s submission, maintained that it is not appropriate to make changes to the sanctions handed to Smith, Warner, and Bancroft.”I think he’s pretty disappointed. I think he was hopeful of that getting lifted. But to be honest I think he’s just over it all the speculation and talk. He’s just over it. He wants to play some cricket,” Cummins told cricket.com.au.advertisement”There’s some good T20 comps around the world coming up that hopefully he’ll go and play. I think he’s sick of all the talk. He said he’s in a really good place. He’s happy, he’s playing obviously he’d love to be playing the Tests and everything else coming up. But he’s just ready to get over it.”Also read: Virat Kohli not underestimating Australia without Steve Smith and David WarnerThe trio is not going to be part of the Australian squad for the upcoming four-Test series against India, who are being considered favourites following the Australian biggies’ absence.Hopeful of returning to the international fold before the Cricket World Cup and next year’s Ashes, Smith and Warner have been playing T20 tournaments across the globe and club-level cricket in Sydney.Smith had played Canada’s Global T20 and the Caribbean Premier League earlier this year. He is all set to feature in the fourth season of Pakistan Super League (PSL).Despite the controversy surrounding the former Australian captain, he was among the top two picks in the PSL draft. Smith was picked up by an unnamed sixth franchise in the Platinum category that will see him earn more than USD 160,000 in the month-long tournament which will be played between February 14 and March 17.Also Watchlast_img read more