A’s wild walk-off vs Twins gives them chance to clinch playoffs at home

first_imgOAKLAND — Throughout this entire week, A’s manager Bob Melvin has refused to even entertain the idea of potentially clinching a playoff berth at home until the exact day presented itself. That day is here.Stephen Piscotty’s mad dash home to score the game-winning run on a walk-off wild pitch from Trevor Hildenberger in Saturday’s 3-2 victory over the Twins shrunk the A’s magic number to one. The A’s (94-61) can clinch a playoff spot in front of their home fans Sunday with a win against the …last_img read more

One militant killed in Army firing at Kupwara

first_imgOne militant has been killed and two soldiers injured as the Army spotted a group of militants in a pre-dawn searches near the Line of Control (LoC) in Kupwara on Monday.Initial reports suggest a joint party of the 10 JAKLI, Army’s 57 Rashriya Rifles (RR) and 41 RR observed the movement of a group of infiltrators and were challenged at Safawali Gali adjacent to Batpora forests in Kupwara.“One militant is killed so far. The body has been spotted and an AK-47 rifle recovered,” said a police official.The operation is on in the area as the militants and the security personnel continue to exchange fire. Two soldiers were also injured, said the police.last_img read more

Maharashtra government formation: NCP-Congress-Shiv Sena common minimum programme to strive for policy direction

first_img Need for consensusAmong the key issues to be discussed is the distribution of Cabinet and State portfolios and posts in various corporations. “The issue of who will become the Chief Minister is sorted. That post will be with the Sena. But there will be talks about appointments to corporations, the Rajya Sabha and the Legislative Council. We have to reach a broader consensus before going forward,” a senior Congress leader said.The CMP will focus on a broader strategy for the next government. “Distribution of portfolios is certainly an issue being discussed, but we have to decide on policy matters such as farm loan waiver, infrastructure projects, industrial growth and the financial condition of the State. There has to be a road map, and we will chalk out the broader picture,” the Congress leader said.The NCP MLAs held a meeting on Wednesday morning where Mr. Ajit Pawar clarified that his party and the Congress would clear certain points following which talks will be held with the Sena on the CMP.“We are not in a hurry. The Governor has given us six months time,” he said. Sena’s demands unacceptable, BJP not in favour of mid-term polls in Maharashtra: Shah A common minimum programme (CMP) being drafted by the Congress-Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) combine and the Shiv Sena will discuss matters starting from distribution of Ministries to broader policy-based issues, sources say.The programme is, however, likely to skip controversial issues. “The CMP will be about policy direction and will not include every issue in the State today,” said a senior Congress leader working on the draft. The issues such as the Sena’s demand for Bharat Ratna to Veer Savarkar will not be in the CMP as it is the demand of a particular party.The NCP on Wednesday appointed a five-member committee including legislature party leader Ajit Pawar, State president Jayant Patil and Leader of the Opposition in Council Dhananjay Munde to hold discussions with the Congress and the Sena. Congress leaders, including former Chief Minister Ashok Chavan and State president Balasaheb Thorat, met at the office of the former Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan to identify similarities in the manifestos of the three parties and come to common points to move forward.Sena chief Uddhav Thackeray is directly monitoring the discussions along with senior party leaders.Also Readlast_img read more

Russias romance with Raj Kapoor lives on, 29 yrs after death

first_imgBy Asim KamalMoscow, Aug 13 (PTI) Ranbir Kapoor might be setting hearts aflutter back home in India, but Russia still has just one rockstar Kapoor — and thats his grandfather.More than 29 years after his death, Showman Raj Kapoor continues to rule Russia as the king of the Indian film industry.Generations of Russians — even the young — are aware of Raj Kapoor and his cinema and regard him as Bollywoods numero uno hero despite the new crops of Indian actors who have made a global mark, with their films being released worldwide.”Raj Kapoor for sure still holds the title of the Indian film industrys king here in Russia. He is the number one association we have when we talk about Indian cinema,” said 25-year old Annie Vo.Moscow-born Vo, of Vietnamese origin, stressed he was her “favourite” because of the true to life characters he played.”His characters are very down to earth, true to life and genuine. Anybody can connect to his films, cutting across age, race, education and social status,” she told PTI.The creative director at Bardelhi restaurant, which serves Indian food and frequently screens Hindi films at its special movie nights, said she had heard of Ranbir and seen Barfi!, but it is Raj Kapoors legacy that lingers.”Call me conservative, but I relate more to Rajs era of actors and their level of class,” she said.Raj Kapoor, who passed away aged 63 in June 1988, acted in a series of classics such as Shree 420 and Awara and is still widely known as “the greatest showman of Indian cinema”.advertisementMany in Moscow stressed it was his cinema that introduced Russians to Indian films, which was why he continued to wield such magic.Nozima Karimova, a PR firm employee, recalled the reception the actor was accorded at the Tashkent film festival.”People spoke of his visit like he was higher than any head of state or any celebrity in the world,” she said.Karimova said she knew the Kapoor family was a part of the Indian film world, but was “not certain” about his grandchildren.”For, even today, I watch retro movies of Indian cinema,” she said.Karimova said she often watched Indian films on Russian Zee TV, aired on many cable networks here dubbed in Russian or with subtitles.Vo added that apart from Kapoor, people liked Mithun Chakraborty, Shah Rukh Khan, Aishwarya Rai and Priyanka Chopra.Dilmurad, a Taxi driver in his 50s, said Barood, a 1976 film featuring Rishi Kapoor, and the 1969 Rajesh Khanna- starrer Aradhana were among his favourites.”I went to see Aradhana one morning. I liked it so much that I watched it three times the same day,” he said.Some of the newer releases have their share of viewers, too. Ivan Parfenov, a sports media executive, said he was not a fan of Indian cinema, but was “greatly impressed” by the Rajinikanth-starrer, Robot.”One evening after a few drinks, a few friends and I were at home watching funny videos on YouTube, when a friend put on a clip from Robot. After watching it for 30 seconds I exclaimed that we had to download and watch it,” he said.Leonid Parfenov, creator of a TV and book series called “Namedni”, year-by-year accounts of important developments in culture and everyday lives in Russia, mentions the role of Raj Kapoor in an article on the popularity of Indian cinema.”It all began with Raj Kapoor, the lead actor in Awara and his songs…The rules of the genre never change: immense love, sweet-sounding songs cause charm and tears,” he wrote in a 1976 chapter titled Seeta and Geeta.Talking about the reason Indian films were popular in Russia, Parfenov said, “I often saw women on their way from a film in tears and smiling and saying things like Now this is a film about life.” PTI ASK BDSlast_img read more

Saskatchewans main First Nation organization backs Conservative bill to make band politician

first_imgAPTN National NewsThis week the federal government tabled the First Nations Financial Transparency Act.It would require all First Nations to make public the salaries of their chief and council.It would also make financial statements of their operations accessible to the public.The Federation of Saskatchewan Indians says it welcomes the transparency and accountability it will bring.They hope how, the government will spend their time and energy on addressing important issues like housing, education and safe drinking water.In the past, the FSIN has repeatedly called for a First Nations auditor general’s office.last_img read more

City Council approves rezoning of land for the Anglican Church

first_imgNow that zoning has been put back to its original state the church will sell the property and is looking forward to finding another piece of land in FSJ and building there.To read more about the Anglican Church and the selling of their land CLICK HERE FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – Council approved the rezoning application for the Anglican Church to return the designation of the land from Institutional to Low-Density Residential.At the public hearing held January 14th, 2019 during the Council Meeting, Council approved the Zoning Amendment for 8907 – 112 Avenue which is the land owned by the Anglican Church.“Two years previous this property had changed its zoning from residential to institutional in order to build a Church on the land. At the time of purchase, no one caught there was a ‘building scheme’ attached to the land, and it could not be removed.” says Bishop Lehmannlast_img read more

Specialised audiovisual presentations tollfree no helped CBSE students

first_imgNew Delhi: Specialised audiovisual presentations on issues affecting youth, a toll-free helpline for students, an interactive voice response system – that is how the CBSE helped students counter the board exam stress this year.According to the Central Board of Secondary Education public relations officer, Rama Sharma, as many as 12,000 calls were received on the interactive voice response (IVR) service, which was a new feature introduced this year. Through the IVR system, students, parents or stakeholders can obtain pre-recorded useful information on tackling board exams which included tips for better preparation, time and stress management, frequently asked questions, along with live tele-counselling services. With the introduction of the IVR system, the board saw a considerable decline on the calls received on the toll-free helpline in the first phase of counselling, which commenced on February 1 and ended on April 4. The second phase will begin after the board results are declared. The board had roped in a total of 87 counsellors, comprising 65 from India, two special educators and 22 from foreign schools. The helpline got more calls from students as compared to parents. As many as 1,122 calls were received, with more boys (797) calling up the helpline as compared to girls (222). The helpline also received more calls from students of private schools as compared to government schools. “This has been the trend every year with more boys calling up than girls. It is difficult to understand why, but it might be because the boys are a bit distracted and usually start preparing at the last-minute causing them to stress more. Girls, on the other hand, are more organised when it comes to studies,” another official said. “Many a times, students used to call and say, ‘Please talk to my parents. They are reprimanding me and pressurising me’. Students have even called up to say they are distracted and are not able to concentrate because they had a break-up,” the other official said. Some students even had suicidal thoughts and said they were “feeling like killing themselves” and some others even said they did not want to pursue a particular stream, but were being forced to do so by their parents, he said. For the first time, a comprehensive audiovisual presentation titled ‘Knowing Children Better’ was prepared and uploaded on the CBSE’s website and other social media platforms. The presentations were on issues like tackling exam anxiety, internet addiction, substance abuse, depression. According to Sharma, the presentations received 75,000 hits on YouTube, while 92,000 views on Twitter with the presentation on tackling exam anxiety getting the maximum number views. The board had also prepared a course compendium for students. The compendium of courses after class 12 was an earnest effort of the board to facilitate students while scouting for right course choices, the board had said. The compendium featured traditional courses like engineering, chartered accountancy, medicine, while also details and eligibility criteria for unconventional subjects like how to become a detective, artificial intelligence, robotics, among others.last_img read more

FPIs invest Rs 17219 cr in Apr

first_imgNew Delhi: Foreign investors were net buyers in the Indian capital markets for the third straight month in April, pouring in Rs 17,219 crore on favourable macroeconomic conditions and ample liquidity. India has been one of the top recipients of foreign fund flows among emerging markets since February 2019 on the back of positive global sentiment, improving growth outlook, supportive macros and dovish stance taken by the RBI, experts said. Overseas investors had put in a net sum of Rs 45,981 crore in March and Rs 11,182 crore in February in the capital markets (both equity and debt). Also Read – Commercial vehicle sales to remain subdued in current fiscal: IcraAccording to the latest depositories data, foreign portfolio investors (FPI) pumped in a net sum of Rs 21,032.04 crore into equities but pulled out a net amount of Rs 3,812.94 crore from the debt market during April 1-26, taking the total net investment to Rs 17,219.10 crore. “Expectation of a slowdown in the global economy led several central banks to adopt a dovish stance towards interest rates in order to provide a boost to their dwindling economies. Also Read – Ashok Leyland stock tanks over 5 pc as co plans to suspend production for up to 15 days”This augured well for the emerging markets as it improved global liquidity which has been making its way into the emerging markets and India is getting its share from that,” said Himanshu Srivastava, senior research analyst, manager research at Morningstar. Alok Agarwala, Senior VP and Head – Investment Analytics at Bajaj Capital attributed the decline of foreign flows into debt markets to “rise in crude oil prices and worries over the supply overhang” as it has diminished the hope of yields coming down further. Sustainability of economic growth, behaviour of crude oil prices and formation of a stable government at the Centre will play significant role in the continuation of FPI flows, he added.last_img read more

Will Buckeyes move back to No 1 after beating Spartans

With less than six minutes to go, and No. 2 Ohio State up just five on unranked Michigan State, an errant Spartan pass flew into the backcourt and nine of the 10 players on the floor seemed content to let it roll out of bounds. OSU freshman point guard Aaron Craft wouldn’t allow it. Craft chased the ball down. As the Spartans tried to recover, he went up and under the rim for a layup, drew a foul and converted the three-point play. The freshman’s only field goal of the night gave OSU (25-1, 12-1 Big Ten) an eight-point lead and propelled the Buckeyes to a 71-61 victory. “That’s a heck of a play right there,” senior guard Jon Diebler said after the game. “That’s just someone wanting the win and Aaron is a guy who, he does the little things and that just shows the type of player that he is. That was a huge play.” The Spartans played most of the game like the team they were projected to be when they entered the season at No. 2. Outscoring the Buckeyes off the bench, 21-1, MSU shot 63 percent from the field in the first half. With freshman forward Jared Sullinger on the bench in foul trouble, MSU matched the Buckeyes shot-for-shot all half. A basket from senior point guard Kalin Lucas gave MSU a 34-32 lead with 1:30 left in the half, but Buford responded with a 3-pointer, giving OSU the lead, one of 11 lead changes in the first 20 minutes. OSU took that 35-34 lead to halftime, and Buford’s 14 first-half points put him ahead of all scorers. “We didn’t bring it in the first half,” Buford said. “Our defense wasn’t there and we weren’t together as a team. For the second half we had to pick up the intensity.” The lead changed hands four more times early in the second half, and a fifth time when a three-point play from fifth-year senior forward David Lighty gave OSU a 45-44 lead. That was the game’s final lead change. Lighty sparked a 10-2 run, opening up a six-point OSU lead, 52-46. An off-balance, end-of-the-shot-clock 3-pointer from junior forward Draymond Green ended the run, and after a Sullinger free throw, a layup from Lucas cut the lead to two. Five quick points from Buford gave OSU a 58-51 lead, its biggest to that point, with 8:30 to play. Minutes later, Craft made the play that ignited the sellout crowd at the Schottenstein Center. “Aaron is like a spark plug for this team,” OSU coach Thad Matta said. “I think guys are looking and saying, ‘If he’s going to give that (effort), then I’m going to give that.’” The Spartans got as close as four down the stretch, but a pair of Sullinger free throws and three from Craft gave OSU an insurmountable 10-point lead with less than two minutes left. Buford led all scorers with 23 points on 9-for-15 shooting, 3-for-4 from beyond the 3-point line. Sullinger scored 11 points and grabbed a season-low two rebounds. Lighty and Diebler had 12 points each. Lucas led MSU with 14 points, and although the team shot 57 percent from the floor and outrebounded OSU, its 19 turnovers swung the game in OSU’s favor. After falling at Wisconsin on Saturday, OSU relinquished the No. 1 rank to Kansas, who lost at Kansas State, 84-68, Monday night. OSU plays again at 1 p.m. Sunday at No. 11 Purdue. read more

Stuttgarts Benjamin Pavard is a wanted man

first_imgAccording to the Italian outlet, Calciomercato, Barcelona will have to beat the competition from Juventus and Bayern Munich if looking to secure the services of the €30m Stuttgart defender Benjamin Pavard.Ernesto Valverde is a big fan of the 22-year-old Frenchman, who emerged as one of the most pleasant surprises of the recently concluded FIFA World Cup in Russia. Although he already has some major defenders at his disposal, including Samuel Umtiti, Gerard Pique, and Clement Lenglet, the former Athletic Bilbao manager hopes to bring in another reliable option, as Nelson Semedo continues to struggle on the right-back position.Meanwhile, the Bianconeri have wrapped up the €40.4 million deal for Joao Cancelo, but Massimiliano Allegri is yet to be convinced by the performance of the former Valencia man. Additionally, Pavard’s versatility that enables him to cover multiple roles in the backline, as well as, a defensive-midfielder role is something that appeals the most to the Old Lady chief of staff.Mario Mandzukic, JuventusJuventus confirm Mario Mandzukic could leave this month Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Sporting director Fabio Paratici confirmed reports that Mario Mandzukic could leave Juventus for a move to an unnamed Qatari team.And of course, there are always the Bavarians when it comes to talented players who perform in the Bundesliga. With Joshua Kimmich residing as the only reliable right-back, Niko Kovac is looking for a solid backup, and the former Lille player has what it takes to break into the top-class team like Bayern Munich.As things stand, Stuttgart management can smile while figuring out what price-tag to slap on their in-demand man.last_img read more