Coronavirus kills two Iranians, first Mideast deaths

first_imgThe state news agency also quoted a media adviser to Iran’s health minister as saying two people had died after testing positive for the coronavirus.”Both of the people who had tested positive for coronavirus were in Qom and were old. Both have passed away,” said Alireza Vahabzadeh.- Quarantine hospitals readied -Qom is a centre for Islamic studies attracting scholars from Iran and beyond.However, the head of the health ministry’s contagious diseases unit said the pair who died were Qom residents who were not known to have left Iran.”These two were from Qom and visited (us) two days ago after falling ill… they didn’t even have a history of going abroad,” IRNA quoted Mohammad Mehdi Gouya as saying.Another official in Qom said people suspected of being infected with the coronavirus would be put into quarantine in two hospitals.Mohammadreza Ghadir, head of the city’s medical sciences unit, told IRNA that “the spread of coronavirus in Qom has been controlled and we want the people not to worry about it.”The new coronavirus has now claimed the lives of eight people outside mainland China.One has died in Japan, one in Taiwan, another in the Philippines and two in Hong Kong. One has also died in France.The United Arab Emirates last month became the first country in the Middle East to report cases of the coronavirus strain. Egypt has also reported cases.Iran’s health sector has been hit by sanctions imposed by the United States since Washington withdrew in 2018 from a landmark nuclear deal between the Islamic republic and world powers.Topics : Two people have died in Iran after testing positive on Wednesday for the new coronavirus, the health ministry said, in the Islamic republic’s first cases of the disease.According to YJC news agency, a branch of state television, the pair who died were Iranian citizens and residents of the holy city of Qom.They are also the first deaths from the COVID-19 virus in the Middle East and only the seventh and eighth outside China, where the outbreak has killed more than 2,000 people. State news agency IRNA quoted Kianoush Jahanpour, a ministry spokesman, as saying the virus was detected in two elderly people with immunity problems in Qom, south of the Iranian capital.”Following the recent cases of chronic respiratory diseases in Qom, two of the patients tested positive in preliminary tests,” it quoted him as saying.”Unfortunately both passed away in the intensive care unit due to old age and issues with their immune system.”IRNA had earlier quoted Jahanpour as saying that the “new coronavirus” had been confirmed in two people and that other suspected cases were isolated.last_img read more

Wirecard ex-CEO, board members arrested for fraud: German prosecutor

first_imgUrging other participants in the massive fraud to come forward in exchange for leniency in sentencing for any convictions, prosecutors warned however that “the value of information” is diminishing as the investigations progress.The huge scam had unraveled in June when auditors Ernst & Young said they were unable to find 1.9 billion euros of cash in the company’s accounts.The missing cash makes up a quarter of the balance sheet. The sum was supposedly held to cover risks in trading carried out by third parties on Wirecard’s behalf and was meant to be sitting in trustee accounts at two Philippine banks.But the Philippines’ central bank has said the cash never entered its monetary system and both Asian banks, BDO and BPI, denied having a relationship with Wirecard.The German-based group was finally forced to admit the sum likely did not exist. German prosecutors said Wednesday they have arrested the former chief executive and two board members of Wirecard for “commercial fraud”, saying investigations show that trickery was already happening in 2015.The widening probe suggests that banks in Germany and Japan as well as other investors were conned into providing funds of up to 3.2 billion euros ($3.7 billion) to Wirecard, said prosecutors, adding that the sums are now “very likely lost because of the insolvency of Wirecard”.Described by Germany’s finance minister as an “unparalleled scandal”, the collapse of the payments provider in June shocked the nation and has since snowballed into a political hot potato for the government. Ex-CEO Markus Braun, who had already been arrested before being freed on bail over market manipulation, and the board members were detained on Wednesday in Munich, prosecutors said.All three, plus another suspect who was identified only as the managing director of Cardsystems Middle East FZ-LLC, a Dubai-based subsidiary of Wirecard, are suspected of “inflating the balance sheet and volume of revenues by falsifying the company’s intake.””The company was to be presented as financially strong and attractive to investors and clients, so that loans could be obtained from banks and other investors on a regular basis, as well as keep it generating its own income,” said Munich prosecutors.”In reality, it was already clear to the accused by the end of 2015 at the latest, that Wirecard group was making losses with its actual businesses.”center_img Topics :last_img read more

Iran cries victory after UN rejects US bid to extend arms embargo

first_img“In my opinion, this day will go down in the history of our Iran and in the history of fighting global arrogance.”Only two of the Council’s 15 members voted in favor of the US resolution seeking to extend the embargo, highlighting the division between Washington and its European allies since President Donald Trump withdrew from the Iran nuclear accord in May 2018.Washington’s European allies all abstained, and Iran mocked the Trump administration for only winning the support of one other country, the Dominican Republic.”In the 75 years of United Nations history, America has never been so isolated,” said foreign ministry spokesman Abbas Mousavi. Iran on Saturday hailed a UN Security Council vote rejecting a US bid to extend an arms embargo on the Islamic republic, saying its foe has “never been so isolated”.President Hassan Rouhani said the United States had failed to kill off what he called the “half alive” 2015 deal with major powers that gave Iran relief from sanctions in exchange for curbs on its nuclear program.”The United States failed in this conspiracy with humiliation,” Rouhani told a televised news conference. “Despite all the trips, pressure and the hawking, the United States could only mobilize a small country (to vote) with them,” he tweeted.The result increases the likelihood that the US will try to unilaterally force a return of UN sanctions, which experts say threatens to plunge the Council into one of its worst-ever diplomatic crises. Read also: Iran calls on US to ‘stop violence’ against its people’Inexcusable’ “The Security Council’s failure to act decisively in defense of international peace and security is inexcusable,” said US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo.The embargo on conventional arms is due to expire on October 18 under the terms of a resolution that blessed the Iran nuclear deal, officially known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action.Since Trump pulled out of the JCPOA and slapped unilateral sanctions on Iran under a campaign of “maximum pressure”, Tehran has since taken small but escalating steps away from compliance with the nuclear accord as it presses for sanctions relief.European allies of the United States — who, along with Russia and China, signed the deal with Iran — have voiced support for extending the 13-year-long conventional arms embargo, saying an expiry threatens stability in the Middle East.However, their priority is to preserve the JCPOA.The US text, seen by AFP, effectively called for an indefinite extension of the embargo on Iran, which diplomats said would threaten the nuclear agreement.Iran says it has the right to self-defense and that a continuation of the ban would mean an end to the nuclear deal.Pompeo announced that members had failed to back the proposal around 30 minutes before Indonesia, the current president of the Security Council, announced that the official results included two votes against and 11 abstentions.Russia and China opposed the resolution.”The result shows again that unilateralism enjoys no support, and bullying will fail,” China’s UN mission tweeted.’Snapback’ Ambassador Gunter Sautter of Germany, which abstained, said “more consultations are needed” to find a solution that is acceptable to all council members.During a call between Trump and French President Emmanuel Macron, the leaders “discussed the urgent need for UN action to extend the arms embargo on Iran”.Hours earlier, Russian President Vladimir Putin called on China, France, Russia, Britain, the US, Germany and Iran to convene an emergency video summit to avoid an escalation of tensions in the Gulf.Washington has threatened to try to force a return of UN sanctions if it is not extended by using a controversial technique called “snapback”.Pompeo has offered the contested argument that the US remains a “participant” in the nuclear accord as it was listed in the 2015 resolution — and therefore can force a return to sanctions if it sees Iran as being in violation of its terms.European allies have been sceptical on whether Washington can force sanctions and warn that the attempt may delegitimize the Security Council.Nevertheless, the US is expected to deliver the snapback letter next week, AFP understands.Analysts suspect that Washington purposefully put forward a hardline draft that it knew Council members would not be able to accept. “The fact is that everybody at the UN believes this (resolution) is just a prelude to a US effort to trigger snapback and sink the Iranian nuclear deal,” Richard Gowan, a UN expert at the International Crisis Group, told AFP.Topics :last_img read more

Unai Emery told to sell three Arsenal players in summer clear-out

first_imgAdvertisement Comment Metro Sport ReporterTuesday 18 Jun 2019 4:34 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link442Shares Lucas Torreira has been linked with a return to Italy (Picture: Getty)‘Who can they get out of the door? If you can get the right offer for Mesut Ozil you’d sell. Mkhitaryan can go and you want to keep Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Alexandre Lacazette.‘Torreira seems to be interested in going back to Italy. If you can get the right money: take it.’Arsenal have been linked with moves for Ryan Fraser, Alexis Claude-Maurice, Gabriel Martinelli, Yannick Carrasco and David Neres this summer.Emery’s side kick-start their 2019-2020 Premier League campaign with a trip to St James’ Park to face Newcastle United.More: FootballBruno Fernandes responds to Man Utd bust-up rumours with Ole Gunnar SolskjaerNew Manchester United signing Facundo Pellistri responds to Edinson Cavani praiseArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira moves Advertisement Unai Emery has been told to sell three Arsenal players (Picture: Getty)Charlie Nicholas has urged Unai Emery to sell three Arsenal players before bolstering his defensive options in the summer transfer window.The Gunners suffered a dismal run of form towards the end of the 2018-19 campaign to fall out of the top-four in the Premier League.Having also lost to London rivals Chelsea in the Europa League final, Arsenal will again be absent from the Champions League next term.Emery is keen to bolster his defensive options during the summer transfer window and Nicholas says he should also be looking to sell some of his current players.ADVERTISEMENTMore: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man CityThe Gunners hero has identified Mesut Ozil, Lucas Torreira and Henrikh Mkhitaryan as players who should be sold if the right offer is on the table.AdvertisementAdvertisementHe told Sky Sports: ‘We’re being slow again in the market. The manager has identified plenty of options. Defensively is the key area.‘I just hope we don’t delay these deals. Arsenal need to get into the market. We can’t afford someone like Aaron Wan-Bissaka but we need a whole new defence really.‘We need three defenders to come in which will cost £60-£70m. Unai Emery told to sell three Arsenal players in summer clear-outlast_img read more

Arsenal agree new £4.2m deal to sign Pablo Mari from Flamengo

first_imgPablo Mari will join Arsenal on loan for a £4.2m fee (Getty Images)But according widespread reports in Brazil, Arsenal now found a resolution with Flamengo which will see Mari join the Gunners on loan for the remainder of the season.AdvertisementAdvertisementArsenal have agreed to pay a loan fee of €5 million (£4.2m) to sign Mari now and the deal includes the option to sign the 26-year-old permanently in the summer.Brazilian outlet Globo reports that Mari is due to travel back to London on Wednesday to finalise his transfer.The news comes after Flamengo confirmed the signing of Leo Pereira, who is a direct replacement for Mari, for around €7m (£5.9m).More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man CityMari was signed by Manchester City in 2016 but did not make an appearance for Pep Guardiola’s side and was loaned out to Girona, Dutch side NAC Breda and Deportivo de La Coruna, who were playing in the Spanish second division.Flamengo signed Mari last summer for around £1m and he played a key role in helping the Brazilian club win Serie A and the Copa Libertadores.More: Arsenal FCArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira movesThomas Partey debut? Ian Wright picks his Arsenal starting XI vs Manchester CityArsene Wenger explains why Mikel Arteta is ‘lucky’ to be managing Arsenal Pablo Mari is set to join Arsenal (AMA/Getty Images)Arsenal have reached a new agreement with Flamengo to sign Pablo Mari, according to reports in Brazil.The Spanish defender appeared on course to secure his move over the weekend after he was spotted arriving in London with Arsenal’s technical director Edu.Mari had a medical with Arsenal but the Gunners were unable to reach an agreement with Flamengo and the defender ended up travelling back to Brazil.Flamengo were unhappy with Arsenal’s decision to change the terms of the transfer as they went from proposing a permanent deal to a loan move.ADVERTISEMENT Comment Advertisement Metro Sport ReporterWednesday 29 Jan 2020 3:08 amShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link16.8kShares Advertisement Arsenal agree new £4.2m deal to sign Pablo Mari from Flamengolast_img read more

Fauci: U.S. “Struggling” to Get Coronavirus Under Control

first_imgThe nation’s top infectious disease expert said Sunday that the United States is “struggling” to get the coronavirus pandemic under control. Dr. Anthony Fauci added that to say otherwise “would be a false statement.”Dr. Fauci warned Americans in an interview on CBS that “it is going to be a bad week” as there is a projected escalation in cases, although “within a week” or so the number of cases should begin to flatten out.“Are you saying, doctor, despite the deaths that we may see, that mitigation is working, and that you do have this outbreak under control?” CBS’ Margaret Brennan asked him.“I will not say we have it under control, Margaret. That would be a false statement. We are struggling to get it under control, and that’s the issue that’s at hand right now,” Fauci replied.He continued: “The thing that’s important is that what you see is increases in new cases, which then start to flatten out. But the end result of that you don’t see for days or weeks down the pipe.”Fauci added that it it crucial for the coronavirus to get “globally under control,” or risk becoming a seasonal issue. He emphasized that ongoing efforts to develop a vaccine and the beginning of clinical trials will hopefully mean the country is more prepared in the event of a recurrence of COVID-19.last_img read more

10 year old Table Tennis prodigy Hansini to represent India in Sweden

first_imgImage Courtesy: TOI/DTNextAdvertisement q69sNBA Finals | Brooklyn Vs2aabmWingsuit rodeo📽Sindre Enp( IG: @_aubreyfisher @imraino ) pxobWould you ever consider trying this?😱5b1Can your students do this? 🌚1e4Roller skating! Powered by Firework From the iconic Sathiyan Gnanasekaran’s decorated career, to the Young Manav Thakkar gold medal achievement in the 2019 ITTF Challenge, several table tennis players have represented and made India proud at the world stage. Now, the role is upon a 10 year old kid. Say hello to M Hansini, the Indian table tennis prodigy who is set to represent her country in Sweden.Advertisement Image Courtesy: TOI/DTNextM Hansini, the 10 year old paddler from the city of Chennai will be appearing for her maiden International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF) junior circuit event. She is participating at the Swedish Junior and Cadet Open, which is being hosted at Orebro, Sweden from 19th to 23rd February.A student of Class V, Hansini made the headlines last year at the UTT 81st Senior National & Inter-State Table Tennis Championships-2019, hosted in Hyderabad. The youngster secured a bronze medal in the cadet girls’ singles category.Advertisement At the junior circuit event, she is competing in the junior girls’ singles category. Placed in group 8, Hansini will be competing alongside other young table tennis prodigies around the globe, namely the teenage sensation Naomi Pranjkovic from Germany, Amy Marriott from England and Hannah Holgersson from the host country.Seeded as India’s no. 1 in the U-12 category for the upcoming year, Hansini was scouted by none other than Muralidhara Rao. In a recent interview, Rao revealed that Hansini’s talent was discovered at the SDAT AKG Table Tennis Development Centre in Chennai.Advertisement “One day Hansini came to watch her cousin play in the academy. I gave her bat asking her to play and the way she was returning the ball impressed me.” Rao told reporters.Having trained big table tennis names such as Sharath Kamal Achanta and K Shamini, Rao was quick to detect Hansini’s skills. He continued: “As table tennis expert coach, I felt that this girl has potential to make it big so I asked her mother to put her in the academy. Soon she proved it by becoming U-10 champion within one year and then clinched U-12 title too.”Rao also added that Hansini is being prepared for the 2028 Summer Olympics, which will be held in Los Angeles, California, United States.“We are targeting 2028 Olympics and we look at Hansini as one of the strong medal prospects,” the coach concluded.Also read-Meet Shashini Puvi, the 6 year old Indian Chess prodigy whipping up a storm!10 year old Indian kid Dani PK scores ridiculous goal straight from the corner kick! Advertisementlast_img read more