New Zealand and Australia consider coronavirus “travel bubble”

first_img“Officials in both countries are considering all aspects of the trans-Tasman concept, and planning how this could happen more broadly,” Peters added.The prospect of two-way travel was first proposed by Peters, though Ardern in April insisted it was a “long-term goal” and would need to include other Pacific countries.Australia and New Zealand have both slowed the spread of coronavirus in recent weeks to levels significantly below the those reported in the United States, Britain and Europe. Both governments attribute their success to social distancing restrictions and widespread testing.However, Australia on Monday reported 26 new cases, including a seven-year-old boy, its biggest daily jump in two weeks. That could rise as more states report throughout the day. New Zealand recorded no new cases on Monday for the first time since March 16. New Zealand and Australia are discussing the potential creation of a “travel bubble” between the two countries, sources said on Monday, even as Australia reported its highest number of coronavirus cases in two weeks.New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern will take part in a meeting of Australia’s emergency coronavirus cabinet on Tuesday, the Australian government said, stoking speculation that two-way travel could be permitted in the near future.”The idea of a bubble with Australia was floated two weeks ago, and this is an example of the sort of action that could happen within it, while always ensuring the protection of public health,” New Zealand Foreign Minister Winston Peters said in a statement. Overall, Australia has recorded around 6,800 infections and 95 deaths, and New Zealand 1,137 cases and 20 fatalities.On Sunday, a New Zealand rugby league team arrived in Australia to self-isolate before joining Australia’s tournament later this month, after receiving special permission, a move that Peters said could pave the way for a trans-Tasman bubble.Ardern and Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison are expected to discuss their strategies to slow the spread of coronavirus at Tuesday’s meeting, one source familiar with the details of the meeting told Reuters.New Zealand does not have a contact tracing app like the one launched by Australia last week to find and inform people who have been in contact with confirmed infected people.Just over 4 million Australians have downloaded the CovidSafe app so far, well short of Morrison’s previously announced target of 40% of the country’s estimated 16 million smartphone owners.Morrison has made wider adoption of the app a prerequisite to further ease strict social distancing regulations in Australia.Schools debate The rise in Australia’s death toll was largely due to an outbreak at a meat processing plant in the state of Victoria.The infection of the seven-year-old boy in New South Wales (NSW) state, which closed his Sydney school, has drawn attention to the contentious question of whether children should attend school during the outbreak.The federal government has said schools should stay open since children are low-risk carriers of the virus, while some state governments have urged parents to keep children at home.NSW will reopen schools on a staggered basis from next week, while Victoria has asked parents to keep children at home until the middle of the year.The states and territories are also moving at different speeds to lift movement restrictions: NSW has allowed people to make house visits in groups of up to two, while Victoria is retaining its stay-home order until at least May 11.”This is a struggle and … it’s not easy to live this way, but none of us can assume, just because we’re frustrated, that this is over,” Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews told reporters on Monday. “This is far from over. We have to stay the course.”center_img Topics :last_img read more

Manchester United and Everton in talks to sign Paris Saint-Germain midfielder Adrien Rabiot on free transfer

first_imgAdvertisement Comment Manchester United and Everton in talks to sign Paris Saint-Germain midfielder Adrien Rabiot on free transfer Adrien Rabiot is in talks with Manchester United and Everton (Getty Images)Manchester United are in talks with Paris Saint-Germain midfielder Adrien Rabiot, according to reports in France.The 24-year-old is out of contract with PSG at the end of this month and will join a new club on a free transfer.Barcelona, Tottenham and Juventus have all held talks with Rabiot over a potential deal but the midfielder’s high wage demands and signing-on fee has reportedly been a major stumbling block.According to TF1, Rabiot is currently holding talks with both Manchester United and Everton, although no deal has been agreed.ADVERTISEMENT Rabiot will leave PSG on a free transfer this summer (Getty Images)The report also claims that Rabiot is open to moving to a club in the Premier League.AdvertisementAdvertisementEarlier this week, reports in France claimed that Arsenal manager Unai Emery was also interested in completing a deal for Rabiot.Rabiot thrived under Emery during their time together at PSG, but both Arsenal and United are at a disadvantage as they cannot offer the midfielder Champions League football next season.More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man CityRabiot has not featured for PSG since December and will leave the club on a free transfer this summer after refusing to sign a new contract.In March, Rabiot’s mother and agent, Veronique Rabiot, accused PSG of holding her son ‘prisoner’ by refusing to let him train with the first team.“We are attacking the human side here. We are modest. I can only tell you that he feels very badly [about] everything that happens,’ she told L’Equipe.“Adrien is a prisoner! He is even held hostage by PSG. Soon it will be dry bread, water, and a dungeon! This environment is cruel.’More: Manchester United FCRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starNew Manchester United signing Facundo Pellistri responds to Edinson Cavani praiseEx-Man Utd coach blasts Ed Woodward for two key transfer errors Advertisement Metro Sport ReporterSunday 2 Jun 2019 8:38 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link22Shareslast_img read more