A crossbench disabled peer has called for an end t

first_imgA crossbench disabled peer has called for an end to government-led austerity and the “personal misery” it has caused.Lord [Colin] Low, speaking in the Lords debate on last week’s Queen’s speech, said he believed the result of the general election showed voters were “no longer willing to buy neoliberal austerity”.He told peers that austerity had caused “a great deal of personal misery”, with one in four children living in poverty, the use of foodbanks continuing to rise, and a social security system that was “increasingly inhuman and self-defeating”.He pointed to disabled people losing their Motability cars – and consequently their jobs –because of the government’s personal independence payment reforms, while other benefit claimants have had their payments sanctioned for “unavoidably missing appointments”.He added: “The film I, Daniel Blake is all too true to life. The iniquitous work capability assessment finds people fit to work who are patently unfit and who, coroners find, are taking their lives as a result.”Lord Low (pictured, speaking in the debate) said that this “misery” was caused by “conscious, strategic decision-making” by the government, including cutting £12 billion from social security spending in the last parliament, on top of nearly £20 billion cuts under the coalition government.He said this was part of a 40-year project to “systematically shrink” public sector spending to just 36 per cent or less of national income, compared with 44 per cent in Germany and 50 per cent in Denmark.And he told fellow peers that the Grenfell Tower fire showed the harm caused by this attack on state spending, with the NHS and other public services in crisis and local services unable to cope.He said: “Local government, which provides many of these services, will have lost 60 per cent of its funding by 2020.“The election and the Grenfell Tower fire should serve as a wake-up call that we need to change course.”He called instead for government to borrow while interest rates are low in order to “invest in infrastructure, thus giving people work, getting them off the dole and being productive, fuelling growth by spending and creating demand for consumer goods, and paying taxes and boosting receipts for the exchequer”.The independent peer said he believed that voters in the general election had been attracted by the alternative to “neoliberal austerity” offered by the policies of Jeremy Corbyn’s Labour party, which although they were widely described as “hard left” were in fact “fairly standard social democracy”.Lord Low also said that the “colossal misjudgements” of the last two prime ministers, David Cameron and Theresa May – over calling the Brexit referendum and a snap general election – showed that it was “surely no longer possible to sustain the pretence that the Conservative party is self-evidently more effective than the Labour party as a vehicle for governing the country”.And he said that “people should realise that the centre of gravity has shifted [leftwards], in defiance of the political establishment, the media and the commentariat”.last_img read more

Shuttered Farina restaurant evicted from 18th Street space

first_img 0% Tags: Business • real estate • restaurants Share this: FacebookTwitterRedditemail,0% Farina Focaccia & Cucina Italiana appears to have been officially forced out of its space on 18th and Dearborn streets after an eviction. Documents taped to the door indicate the eviction took place Sept. 20. The state Department of Tax and Fee Administration had seized Farina’s liquor license in early July over nearly $275,000 in back taxes and penalties.According to court documents, the landlord filed for an eviction toward the end of July, alleging that the restaurant had not paid the roughly $11,000 rent for two months, nor water and garbage bills totaling more than $8,000. The eviction case was decided by default in the landlord’s favor, court documents indicate.center_img A worker at the restaurant’s pizzeria by the same name on Valencia and 18th streets offered little detail, saying a manager was unavailable and directing Mission Local to the restaurant’s website, which gives no indication of the closure. last_img read more

Mission High principal claims developer reps impersonated Planning Commission members on phone

first_imgGuthertz canceled the meeting, claiming it might disrupt an open house scheduled for later in the same night. “I would be honored to host the Planning Commission hearing at Mission High on another date, so that the Mission community can participate in democracy on this important issue,” Guthertz said in his statement. Guthertz independently confirmed to Mission Local that the statements attributed to him in the press release are accurate. He claims to have received a call from, among others, Gene Royale, a co-founder of the Maximus-funded nonprofit Mission for All, which has canvassed the neighborhood, stumping for the development opponents have labeled “The Monster in the Mission” and proponents call “1979 Mission.”   Joe Arellano, a spokesman for Maximus Real Estate partners, said “I can categorically deny we had anything to do communications with the principal of this nature.” Messages for Royale, who is affiliated with an organization an arm’s reach from Maximus, have not yet been returned. Arellano was adamant that Maximus wanted the meeting to take place, as it is in the company’s interest to hold a hearing to move the project forward. He then claimed that the cancelation of the meeting was the work of the opposition, stating he “wouldn’t be surprised” if this was some manner of false flag operation from Plaza 16.Mission High School, viewed from Dolores Park.“I can say with 100-percent certainty that no member of the Plaza 16 steering committee made that phone call,” said Chirag Bhakta of the Plaza 16 Coalition. “To accuse us of making this phone call and to question the validity of the Mission High School principal is low — yet reminiscent of how this developer wants to work in San Francisco.”  Dueling rallies are now scheduled for this afternoon, following the release of dueling press releases this morning. Supporters of the project, including members of Mission For All, will hold a demonstration to express dissatisfaction over the meeting’s cancellation. That takes place at 4:30 p.m. on the steps of City Hall. A press conference by the Plaza 16 Coalition, likewise, is scheduled for 3 p.m. at 18th and Dolores. A Planning Commission hearing regarding the 331-unit development proposed for the 16th and Mission BART Plaza was supposed to take place this afternoon at Mission High School. But according to Mission High’s principal, the hearing was canceled after he purportedly received a series of bizarre phone calls from a representatives of the project’s developer, Maximus Real Estate partners. Those phone calls, according to a statement from Mission High principal Eric Guthertz included in a press release sent out by the Plaza 16 Coalition, came from people who initially misidentified themselves. “When I asked these phone callers where they were from,” reads Guthertz’s statement, “they first claimed to be from the Planning Commision but then admitted they were from Maximus.” The callers allegedly warned the principal that the scheduled meeting would be marred by “potential disruptions and protests.” Accusations fly as Mission High meeting regarding 1979 Mission project, the so-called “Monster in the Mission,” is controversially canceled Subscribe to Mission Local’s daily newsletter Email Addresslast_img read more

SIA Soliola has been injured as a result of an all

first_imgSIA Soliola has been injured as a result of an alleged assault by three men in St Helens on Sunday night.The three men have been arrested.The Club will not be making any further comment.last_img

First Team Match SAINTS TV

first_imgFirst half tries from Morgan Knowles, Theo Fages and Lachlan Coote were added to by tries in the second half by Regan Grace, Jack Ashworth, Jonny Lomax and a Coote second as Saints came away with a 40-12 victory.And Percival insists it was a tough game and believes the Saints must continue to build ahead of the derby next week.“It was tough and a bit similar to last week going set for set in the early stages. We said it was going to be a hard game, they had a good team out and it was a real tough game and especially with the hostile crowd it was good to get the win.“We need to keep building. Last week was a good win and we wanted to carry on doing that this week and we showed that tonight, coming all the way to Hull and putting in a good performance. We have got some big games coming up so we need to keep focussed for them, but it is going good at the minute.”On our derby opponents Wigan next week, Percival said:“Wigan are coming good now, they are climbing up the table and they are a great side so to get a derby game at home next week is going to be brilliant. We are playing well, they are now playing well so it should be a really good game!”Saints are next in action in a non-televised derby. You can grab your tickets for the derby clash with Wigan Warriors at the Totally Wicked Stadium in a ‘Bad Friday’ repeat online here by calling 01744 455052 or by visiting the Ticket Office at the Totally Wicked Stadium.Tickets for Saints Coral Challenge Cup Semi Final against Halifax, Saturday July 27 (KO 4:30pm) at the University of Bolton Stadium, are also on sale by clicking here.last_img read more

New Hanover Co NAACP wants early voters to head to the polls

first_img The turnout for the Moral March To The Polls was about sixty people and organizers hope that number grows in the coming weeks.“Even though you can vote on November 7th, some things may come up. It may rain or you may get in an accident, anything can happen before November 7th, so when there’s an opportunity to vote early, we encourage you to do that,” said James Ray, a candidate for Wilmington City Council.The cutoff for early voting is November 4th, so the NAACP will continue their push until then. New Hanover County residents cast their vote ahead of Election Day (Photo: Justin McKee/WWAY) WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — The New Hanover County NAACP is urging people to march to the polls ahead of Election Day on November 7th.Early voters were asked to come to the New Hanover County Board Of Elections Monday morning to make their voices heard.- Advertisement – last_img read more

Free hurricane benefit concert Saturday in Wilmington

first_imgWilmington Strong (Photo: Wilmington) WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — As the Cape Fear continues to rebuild after Florence, the City of Wilmington is helping raise money and honoring first responders with a benefit concert.The fun starts at 3 p.m. on Saturday and runs until about 10 pm.- Advertisement – The concert features L Shape Lot, Jared Sales (Coastal Collective) and the Port City Stars, Wilmington Reggae Responders, and more.It’s at the Greenfield Lake Amphitheater in Wilmington.Relax and enjoy great music this Saturday 10/13 from 3-10 p.m. at the Greenfield Lake Amphitheater for the free #WilmingtonStrong Hurricane Florence Relief Concert. 100% of proceeds will benefit our community. Can’t make it? Stream it live at: https://t.co/N03yLiJkrV pic.twitter.com/08otcOmxB0— Wilmington NC (@CityofWilm) October 11, 2018Related Article: By the numbers: Reasons why Florence was a historic stormThe concert is 100 percent free. The United Way of the Cape Fear will be there to collect donations.last_img read more

Man designs ornaments made from Florence debris

first_img After the storm damaged many trees in his neighborhood, he wanted to create something to remember them by. From that came these ornaments, pieces of maple and oak trees cast in epoxy and “Hurricane Florence 2018” screen printed on the front.You can purchase Stokes’s ornaments at two Wilmington shops – Blue Moon Gift Shop or Going Local NC. WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — A local man creates ornaments every year inspired by the past year’s events. This year, Hurricane Florence stirred his creativity.Ryan Stokes is an artist, and felt the hurricane defined him and our entire area after it swept through in September.- Advertisement – last_img read more

Get down to some beach music at the Spring Beach Blast

first_imgSpring Beach Blast (Photo: North Carolina Music Hall of Fame) WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — Get ready to get down with some beach music, with North Carolina Music Hall of Fame inductees, at the Spring Beach Blast.On Sunday March 24, the North Carolina Music Hall of Fame will present a fundraiser concert from the Greenfield Lake Amphitheater in Wilmington. Three legends of beach music will perform live.- Advertisement – Doors at the Greenfield Lake Amphitheater open at noon with the event starting at 12:30 pm. Tickets are $30. The price will increase on the day of the event at $35.Tickets may be purchased online at the North Carolina Music Hall of Fame museum. Tickets are also available at both Redix locations in the Wilmington and on the Greenfield Lake Amphitheatre website.last_img read more

Nearly 8footlong alligator spotted outside Sunset Beach home

first_imgPhoto: Sunset Beach Police Department SUNSET BEACH, NC (WWAY) — A very large alligator was found outside a Sunset Beach home early Thursday morning.Sunset Beach Police received a call around 6:30 a.m. about an alligator outside a home at 491 Sandpiper Bay Drive located in the Sandpiper Bay Golf and Country Club community.- Advertisement – According to Sunset Beach Police Chief Ken Klamar, the caller reported the gator was resting on someone’s front sidewalk.In a picture from police, the alligator was on the sidewalk leading from the driveway to the front door.“Officers stood by to make sure that no one would get near the alligator until it finally decided to leave on its own,” Klamar said.Related Article: North Carolina nonprofit rescues calf from family’s bathroomOfficers at the scene estimated the alligator to be nearly 8 feet in length. They said the alligator went to a pond right behind the home.last_img read more