To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters
The Jakarta Police seized 350 boxes of face masks during a raid on the residence of a suspected hoarder in Tanjung Duren, Grogol Petamburan, West Jakarta in the wake of panic buying that hit the capital city on Monday following the announcement of the country’s first confirmed COVID-19 cases.“The Tanjung Duren Police have confiscated 350 boxes of face masks from various brands at an apartment in Grogol,” Jakarta Police spokesperson Sr. Comr. Yusri Yunus said on Tuesday as quoted by kompas.com.Separately, West Jakarta Police’s general crimes unit head, Comr. Teuku Arsya, confirmed the raid had taken place. However, he was still tight-lipped about the number of suspects apprehended. President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo’s announcement of the country’s first confirmed coronavirus disease (COVID-19) cases on Monday rattled many Jakartans, some of whom reacted to the news by frantically flocking to stores across the city to stock up on medical supplies and other essentials, including face masks and hand sanitizer.Panic buying has prompted a price surge for such items both online and offline in the last two days, with a box of face masks now selling for an average of Rp 300,000 (US$ 21) – a whopping 1,500 percent increase from the original average of Rp 20,000 per box.In response to the phenomenon, the National Police have announced that it will bring those known to have hoarded masks and hand sanitizer to justice.“We are carrying out an investigation to sniff out any illegal stockpiling,” said National Police spokesman Brig. Gen. Argo Yuwono. (rfa)Topics :
When Mr Adwitiya Mal’s father-in-law was diagnosed with COVID-19 at a hospital in Delhi, doctors advised plasma therapy, given his worsening condition.A “roller coaster of emotions” ensued for the family as they began a search for a potential donor. Social media circles as well as networks of friends and relatives were activated.Two women came forward, but were ineligible as they had conceived earlier; women develop antibodies during pregnancy that raise the risk of a rare but potentially fatal transfusion reaction leading to lung damage in the plasma recipient. Potential healthy donors can donate plasma after 14 days of recovery if they do not show any symptoms of COVID-19 and if they have the required level of antibodies.Nearly two-thirds of India’s current tally of over a million cases have recovered, but a lack of willing donors and a late start to set up authorized plasma banking centers have led to a flourishing black market for this “liquid gold”.Mr Akhil Ennamsetty, a lawyer from Warangal in Telangana who has donated plasma twice, set up an online group last month to help connect plasma donors and seekers. He has encountered several middlemen representing families.”They offer to pay money for any potential donor. The amount varies based on various factors like demand and rareness of a particular blood group,” he told The Straits Times. “Many genuine donors I have been touch with have also said they are getting direct calls from these middlemen.”This black market exists in spite of legal provisions in India that proscribe such practices. A 1996 order from the Supreme Court outlaws paid donors and unlicensed blood banks. The National Blood Policy, drafted in 2007, also prohibits the sale and trade of blood.Dhoond, an online initiative that Mr Mal co-founded in June to link donors and recipients, has a database of around 300 donors. But it has 10 seekers for every one donor on its platform. This dearth, he said, was because many recovered patients were too weak to donate.”Not only are they weak physically, they are also traumatized mentally. They have come back from the jaws of death and are being asked to again return to a potentially high-risk area, a hospital, to donate,” he told The Straits Times.”There are some who believe that they would rather save their antibodies for a family member than someone unknown,” he added.Dhoond has blacklisted two donors so far for asking money from recipient families.Since the country’s first plasma bank came up in Delhi on July 2, various state governments have set up similar banks to regulate the donation of blood plasma.The Delhi government opened its second plasma bank last Tuesday at the Lok Nayak Jai Prakash Narayan Hospital, which is the city’s biggest government facility dedicated to COVID-19 patients.Dr Suresh Kumar, the medical director of the hospital, said it managed to draw in 11 donors in its first two days of operation.”If we contact 10 patients, one or two are ready to donate. People have the misconception that donating plasma can cause injury or weakness,” he said.A petition was filed this month in the Delhi High Court seeking the creation of a statutory body to make it mandatory for hospitals to obtain plasma from their patients who recover subsequently.Besides positive incentives, recommendations to bring in more donors include making the process of donating safer and easier. “One way to do this would be to set up plasma donation centres that are independent of hospitals, to reduce the fear of exposure to a potential second coronavirus infection,” said Mr Ennamsetty.Recent research has shown that people who have recovered from COVID-19 may lose their immunity to the disease within a few months, leaving them vulnerable to becoming reinfected. Another person, who flatly asked for 30,000 rupees (S$556), never showed up.Mr Mal’s family was fortunate: a man who had offered to donate his plasma earlier turned out to be a successful match.But for many other families in India desperate for anything that could save their loved ones, offering money is the only way to access blood plasma. Prices can range from 20,000 to around 300,000 rupees per donation, with a higher premium for rarer blood groups.In plasma therapy for COVID-19 – which remains in a trial stage – a patient who has recovered from and has antibodies against the virus provides blood plasma to patients with the same blood group, to help speed up the latter’s recovery. Topics :
Italian oilfield and renewables services firm Saipem has won offshore and onshore drilling contracts and extensions worth $1.7 billion in total.For illustration only; Saipem’s Scarabeo 8 rig; Author: SP MacSaipem on Friday said that the contracts related to the offshore drilling division concern activities to be executed in Norway and in Angola. Apart from sharing the regions where the projects will be carried out, the company did not provide any further info on the offshore drilling contracts.The contracts related to the onshore drilling division include 19 land-rigs located in the Middle East, and their duration range from three up to ten years. In addition, new contracts and extensions on other existing contracts have been assigned for new works that will be executed in Bolivia, Perù, and Romania.Stefano Cao, CEO of Saipem, commented: “The award of these contracts proves the solidity and reliability of the operational performance of our Drilling Divisions and further strengthens Saipem’s long-time presence in strategic areas of the world.”Offshore Energy Today StaffSpotted a typo? Have something more to add to the story? Maybe a nice photo? Contact our editorial team via email.Also, if you’re interested in showcasing your company, product, or technology on Offshore Energy Today, please contact us via our advertising form, where you can also see our media kit.
Gareth Ellery, business development director, said: Offshore geoscience and geotechnical engineering consultancy Cathie has appointed Matthew Laing as UK business development manager. The role will see him lead BD initiatives throughout the UK, manage key client relationships and also ensure that the Cathie philosophy is delivered at the pre-award stage. In addition to this appointment, Cathie expanded its team in March this year, with a senior project geophysicist and a senior engineer and cables lead. Posted: 6 months ago Laing brings over six years technical experience to the position, having worked in various engineering roles at Pell Frischmann and Penspen. He joined the company as a senior project engineer in 2018. Cathie Boosts UK Team with New Cables Lead Categories: “There is a huge demand for Cathie’s unique proposition to the offshore industry, providing expertise, seabed and below. Laing also added that he aims to help Ellery and the business development team deliver the unique Cathie approach into new and exciting projects within the UK and beyond. “It’s important for us to be able to facilitate that demand through our valued client relationships with someone with true technical capability, industry insight and commitment. Posted: 6 months ago During his time with the company, Laing has already helped Cathie win a number of key projects in the offshore renewable sector. Business & Finance
BBC News 3 July 2017Family First Comment: “Girls will sometimes come out with comments like, ‘I just hate it, I just want it removed,’ and for a girl to feel that way about any part of her body – especially a part that’s intimate – is very upsetting.”Exactly!And no different to anorexia nervosa and… gender identity disorder!The real solution is support and counselling. We should help heal their minds.Girls as young as nine are seeking surgery on their genitals because they are distressed by its appearance, the Victoria Derbyshire show has been told.Dr Naomi Crouch, a leading adolescent gynaecologist, said she was concerned GPs were referring rising numbers of young girls who wanted an operation.Labiaplasty, as the surgery is known, involves the lips of the vagina being shortened or reshaped.The NHS says it should not be carried out on girls before they turn 18.In 2015-16, more than 200 girls under 18 had labiaplasty on the NHS. More than 150 of the girls were under 15.Some experts fear that pornography and images viewed through social media are leading young girls to have unrealistic perceptions of how their genitals should look.‘Very upsetting’Dr Crouch, who chairs the British Society for Paediatric and Adolescent Gynaecology, said in her work for the NHS she was yet to see a girl who needed the operation.“Girls will sometimes come out with comments like, ‘I just hate it, I just want it removed,’ and for a girl to feel that way about any part of her body – especially a part that’s intimate – is very upsetting.”READ MORE: http://www.bbc.com/news/health-40410459Keep up with family issues in NZ. Receive our weekly emails direct to your Inbox.
Work has commenced on Phase I of the State House Project. The area is being levelled in preparation for the ground works.In an interview with Sam, one of the Chinese Engineers, we were informed that they are levelling the grounds, and the materials for the construction to begin is en route to Dominica and should arrive shortly.Earlier this month, at the 5th session of the 8th Parliament of the Commonwealth of Dominica, on March 17th, 2011, Prime Minister and Minister of Finance Honourable Roosevelt Skerrit , reported that ” the sum of six million, five hundred and seventy-four thousand dollars ($6,574,000) was advanced for preparation of designs and preliminary activities in respect to the construction of the New State House project.He further explained the components of the project; “It includes the construction of new offices for the Electoral Office and the Electoral Commission and the Integrity Commission, the refurbishing of the existing State House and construction of offices and residence for the office of the President.The new offices for the Electoral and Integrity Commissions are part of Government’s efforts to provide these agencies with suitable work environment. The refurbished existing state house will be outfitted with conference facilities and will ensure that Dominica has facilities that can host regional and international meetings. “The state house project will not only house the Electoral Office, Eletoral Comission and Integrity Office but also enhance our tourism development programme as explained by the Prime Minister. ” The site is deliberately chosen, given its proximity to the cruise ship berth, so that entire compound will form part of the tourism product in the capital.”[nggallery id=23]Dominica Vibes News 44 Views no discussions Share LocalNews Work commences on State House Project by: – March 29, 2011 Sharing is caring! Share Share Tweet
Arsenal head coach Mikel Arteta has dismissed speculation over selling the club’s top goalscorer Pierre Emerick-Aubameyang in January. Read Also:Aubameyang speaks out on Arsenal future amid transfer links When asked about the chance of a January sale, Arteta said: “I don’t even think about that possibility with Auba, I want him here.” FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Promoted Content10 Risky Jobs Some Women Do7 Mind-Boggling Facts About Black Holes7 Ways To Understand Your Girlfriend BetterWhich Country Is The Most Romantic In The World?Birds Enjoy Living In A Gallery Space Created For ThemGorgeous Asian Actresses All Men Are Crazy About27 Breathtakingly Beautiful Albino Animals6 Extreme Facts About Hurricanes15 Extremely Surprising Facts About Disney PrincessesTarantino Wants To End His Career With This Movie?10 Extremely Dirty Seas In The World33 Celebs Photos From Their Childhood: Will You Recognize Them? Loading… Advertisement
He told Press Association Sport: “It was not taken down at my behest, but was removed with my consent and I have no difficulty with the PFA Ireland’s decision to do so. “The article reflected my opinion of the situation and did not seek to represent the views of the PFA Ireland or its members. “I stand over its contents.” Stephen McGuinness, general secretary of the PFAI, confirmed that it had been the association’s decision to remove the article from the website. McGuinness told Press Association Sport: “We decided to take it down, it was our decision. We decided to take it down this morning as soon as we came in. “The decision was not at the behest of Stuart, it was our decision to take it down.” In the article, Gilhooly argued that Evans, who was released last month after serving half of a five-year jail sentence following his conviction for the rape of a 19-year-old woman in Rhyl, North Wales, deserves a chance of redemption. The player has always maintained his innocence despite being found guilty. The Professional Footballers’ Association of Ireland’s solicitor Stuart Gilhooly, who also said the former Sheffield United striker deserves a second chance even if he is guilty, detailed his views in an article posted on the association’s website. Gilhooly’s comments were removed on Tuesday morning and while he insisted he had no problem with the decision, he stood by the views. Gilhooly wrote: “This crime, as alleged, was at the bottom end. There was no violence and thankfully the victim has no recollection of it. This, I hasten to add, does not make it right, or anything close to it, but it is nonetheless a mitigating factor.” He added: “It’s not easy to muster up too much sympathy for Evans, but there is surely nothing worse than being accused of a crime which you genuinely believe you didn’t commit. “The argument against that is that a jury convicted him of the crime. The same applied to the Guildford Four and the Birmingham Six. They got no public sympathy either. “Maybe he is guilty or perhaps he’s innocent, none of us knows for sure. Surely, either way, he deserves a chance at redemption. Don’t we all?” Evans’ attempts to resume his career have been met by protests, with musician Paul Heaton resigning on Monday as a patron of Sheffield United’s Community Foundation over the Blades’ decision to allow Evans to train with the club. TV presenter Charlie Webster, sixties pop star Dave Berry and Sheffield businesswoman Lindsay Graham have all resigned as patrons of the club, while Olympic athlete Jessica Ennis-Hill asked for her name to removed from a stand at Bramall Lane if Evans returns to play for the team. An appeal against Evans’s conviction was rejected by three judges at the Court of Appeal in 2012. His case is due to be looked at by the Criminal Case Review Commission. A lawyer who suggested convicted rapist Ched Evans could be innocent has defended his views after they were removed from the website on which they were first published. Press Association
Palm Beach County officials announced that they will be closing all beaches for the Fourth of July weekend to help prevent the spread of COVID-19.Violators of Palm Beach County’s emergency order closing all beaches for the Fourth of July weekend could be subject to a $100 penalty.Under the emergency order issued Monday, all public, municipal and private beaches will be closed from 12:01 a.m. Friday until 11:59 p.m. Sunday.It also gives law enforcement the authority to issue civil citations for repeat offenders who violate the order. Those fines include a $25 citation for the first violation, $50 citation for the second violation and $100 for each additional violation.“Compliance and enforcement processes shall include the provision of a written or verbal warning and opportunity to correct before citations resulting in fines are issued,” according to the order.The order also states that businesses violating the order could receive stiffer penalties of up to $500, although it does allow restaurants and stores within beach parks to remain open.Reaction has been mixed among residents, some of whom support the decision, with others criticizing the move and suggesting that the beaches should remain open to those who live in the county.Palm Beach County Mayor Dave Kerner said Monday that the order is in place for the public health and safety of residents.